Saturday 29 October 2011

Black spider with khaki and black abdomen what type is it?

Question by Valerie D: Black spider with khaki and black abdomen what type is it?
I have found numerous of these little guys in my garage (in no way observed them ahead of this year, ever) and can't discover what they are. Here's a description:

Black and shiny body, related to a black widow, but the body is a small distinct and the legs are not as lengthy.

The abdomen is khaki/tan colored with an "x" or butterfly looking, black mark on it and a black dot above the butterfly.

Length from the head to the butt is probaby 8-9 mm.

Makes tiny webs spanning corners of objects. E.g. A huge electrical plug and the wall. A bucket on the garage floor and the cement floor.

Can anybody help me identify it? I'm just curious because I've in no way noticed 1 like this before and all of a sudden I've located 3 in my garage in the very same day.

Thanks,
Valerie
Sorry. I am in Colorado (Colorado Springs to be exact), I live at ~6800 feet against the foothills. Been an unusually cold winter and a dreary, cold, spring (if conditions matter).
How do I add a picture?
nm about the picture, my inexpensive camera can't do close ups sufficient to show something valuable.
Thanks so a lot. That was a fantastic suggestion. Acquiring closer. It looks a lot like the Steatoda grossa:
http://www.uksafari.com/steatodagrossa.htm (3rd picture from the left)

Nevertheless, I can not uncover any references to markings on the ventral side of the abdomen. The only references are to markings on the dorsal side. I took a picture of the ventral side of the abdomen, but it genuinely does not show up. I'll send you what I have later, if that is ok with you.


Very best answer:

Answer by John R
That's interesting - 2 points would genuinely aid: exactly where this is, and a photo of the spider. It just does not bring something to mind offhand.

Edit: OK, location that's useful! The photo - you could use any of the typical photo-hosting services, or even Facebook if you want to risk becoming enmeshed in its Kraken-like grasp. As for the high quality - you'd be amazed at how beneficial even a poor photo can be. Without having some thing like that, however, I'm afraid I can't truly hazard a lot of a guess. It's possibly a Theridiid (one of the 'comb-footed' spiders like widows and other residence spiders), but it may well possibly be one thing else.
If you want to check something, do a search on "Steatoda" or "False Widow" and see if you come up with something that looks related. My preferred source is Bug Guide (bugguide.net), but there are other excellent areas as well.



Know much better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Orignal From: Black spider with khaki and black abdomen what type is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment