Thursday 14 July 2011

Q&A: How should the spark plugs be gapped on a 1997 chevy malibu?

Question by Kevin S: How should the spark plugs be gapped on a 1997 chevy malibu?
I replaced all of the plugs and now I'm acquiring a check engine light and it appears a bit sluggish. It runs rough at idle and slow speeds, and runs smooth, but outright gutless above 50mph. All of the cylinders are firing- I did the old, pull the wire off and see if the idle modifications test. My only thought is that I gapped the plugs too large and it is finding some inconsistent misfires. I gapped according to the .060 specification however, I noticed that the old plugs had been gapped around .055. Really should I re-gap to a different spec, if so, what really should it be? I'd like to get some guidance ahead of I go back and redo every thing . . . those back 3 plugs are a discomfort in the butt!
Thanks, everyone, for the quick response. I'll let you know how it pans out . . .


Very best answer:

Answer by bobweb
AC Delco or any quality spark plug replacement really should have been pre-gapped and required no gapping, particularly for newer platinum kind plugs. Make sure you bought the exact parts replacement for your vehicle. Physically bending the electrode could damage the plug.



Add your own answer in the comments!

Orignal From: Q&A: How should the spark plugs be gapped on a 1997 chevy malibu?

No comments:

Post a Comment